Monday, 9 June 2014

Handmade Rag Wreath And Decorated Gift Bag

Apologies for the lack of blogging here in the past few weeks, June is a bit hectic with birthday's, Father's Day, last minute work requests, and other such things, plus I have been lucky enough to dog sit a few times (fluffball always wins!), but I've also had to hide my recent makes as they were for Mum's birthday. I look forward to hearing what you all think though, comments are really appreciated! So here are my 2 makes.

Rag Wreath



It's funny but I've never been interested in rag wreathes before, just didn't like the look of them, but there was something about the one my sister made recently that stuck in my mind, maybe it was just the colours. I wanted to try something different though, so ended up with a rag wreath incorporating some left over paper flowers I made up. I'll be doing a tutorial piece on those soon. I was really pleased how it turned out, and I think it gives a different dimension to the project.



To make the wreath I used a wire coat hanger. You can shape it in one piece, although I untangled it and tied it together to make a circle. I'd got lucky and found a large piece of fabric reduced as well (the green floral print), but didn't want to do the wreath all one colour, so pondered the alternatives, and in the end raided by Baker Ross ribbon stash, and found some other scraps of fabric. It was super easy to make in the end, and although I was a bit worried at first, the paper flowers went well with the fabric. I'm glad I experimented with the ribbon as well to give it a different finish. Definitely helps to have a good colour selection and different types to choose from.

 
Decorated Gift Bag

It's been hard thinking of things to make Mum sometimes, as I've gone through quite a few of the crafts I can do, but I discovered a pack of blank gift bags in my Baker Ross box, and thought I'd make one of those to keep Mum's presents in, as something to keep and treasure as well.

This project was harder than the wreath, as I came up with a focal point quite quickly, but it took ages to think of the embellishments to finish it off. This project involved cutting a piece of paper to fit as the background, adding the glitter and finishing touches around the edge, and then working on the central flower design.



I made this by cutting the middle out of 2 doilies. One I threw away, the other I cut into a smaller circle and put to one side. Then I cut the patterned pieces of doily in half, and folded each piece back on itself, all the way around to make it look a little like petals. I stuck these on the underside of the small circle to complete the flower, and finished off with some stick on gems and a large pearl from my stash.

It was a little tricky to fold the doily so it sat right, but after a bit of experimenting I was happy with the result, and really pleased with how the bag turned out. I think I have learnt a lesson as well. Sometimes cutting up and refashioning a complete item can be a good thing. So from that point of view I am glad I was sent doilies, as I hadn't even seen them for years, loved the colours, and liked the challenge.

Hope you are enjoying the crafty posts, and find the ideas helpful. Thank you for your comments and shares as well. Happiness is definitely handmade!

* This post was written as part of the Baker Ross Adult Blogger Network but any opinions expressed are my own.



2 comments:

  1. I love your ragwreath. What a great idea. I often wonder what to do with the tiny leftover bits of material. I feel a project coming on. Bookmarked. :)

    Heather x
    http://eeebgum.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for commenting Heather, really glad to have delivered some ideas, hope you enjoy making one soon.

    ReplyDelete